Good afternoon, world! The heatwave has passed and it’s a gorgeous day here in NY!
The weather finally came to a showdown last night with spectacular thunderstorms and wind gusts up to 70mph. There was a moment when our electricity died for a split second…during game 3 of the NBA Finals! It took a few minutes for our receiver to restart and I nearly had a
nervous breakdown waiting for the television to come back on. Enough rambling. Here are my favorite stories of the past week:
- First Look: Human Egg Emerging from Ovary, Popgadget. Wow! I, like the writer, always thought the egg bursts out of the ovary. Instead, it OOZES from a protrusion that grows during ovulation. Disgusting, but so fascinating at the same time.
- Apple Introduces iPhone 3G Videoconferencing Kit, ZOMG! Gizmodo. Here’s a great parody ad for those who are still lamenting the lack of a front camera on the new iPhone.
- iPhone SDK Agreement Forbids Real-Time Route Guidance, Dancing, Rock’n’Roll, Engadget GPS without real-time route guidance? What will happen to the TomTom iPhone application?
- When Dogs and Robots Collide, Somebody Needs a Talking To, WSJ. I’ve written about how much I love my Roomba. I’m also an avid animal lover and I plan on getting a dog as soon as our schedule becomes less hectic. This article is pretty hilarious and is a must-read for any technology-savvy
- 9 Reasons Why Trains are Better Than Planes, Consumerist. I’ve been saying this ever since I took my first train trip more than a decade ago. I may not be able to afford some of the better accommodations, but yes, trains really are a lot more comfortable and less of a hassle than planes. (Planes also fail to offer hot dog and beer combos, like trains.)
- Take a Stroll Down Computing Memory Lane, Neatorama. This made me smile, giggle, and reminisce. I had almost forgotten about Prodigy! And I love how they included CompUSA on the list…classic!
- For English Studies, Koreans Say Goodbye to Dad, NYTimes. My parents know a lot of families in this situation. In fact, my uncle’s family was like this…my aunt lived in Toronto with their two kids until they both entered college. But New Zealand? I didn’t know there were even Asians in the land of Hobbits!
- The Free Money Experiment: Most People Decline Free Money! Neatorama. A thought-provoking experiment. Anyone in sales, advertising, or marketing should read this…it really makes you question how the human psyche works.
- Orphaned Baby Polar Bear “Talks” to His Zookeeper, Jezebel. This video is adorable. I love when Animal Planet features baby animals! It really does seem like the bear is talking. Oh great, now I want a baby polar bear.
- Get Your Seat off the Met Steps, Gothamist. Noooooo! Sitting on the Met steps while having street vendor food is a classic NYC experience that can’t be missed! How many times have I sat there, people watching, sketching, writing, or eating? I saw Pierce Brosnan filming The Thomas Crown Affair while sitting on those steps. J and I shot our engagement pictures at the Met, and we ran into a shooting of Gossip Girl (yes, the picture in this article is from that day). How will I and the rest of NY survive for a full year without these steps?