Once again, I am one day late in my Thursday Geek-isms post. Can it be that I completely forgot about it last night?
(Hangs head in shame)
Forgive me, for I have sinned.
But I had a good reason! I was distracted by a very legitimate cause. (Check my private blog for more info.)
On to the links!
- Attn, Satirist of the Spoiled of Wall Street: Bad Timing, Dude, NYTimes. Possibly the worst timing for a book release. Just one year (or even a few months) earlier may have made all the difference.
- Google Has a Remote Kill Switch For Android Apps, Gizmodo. This was the tech news du jour yesterday. Although the idea of a Big Brother always makes me uneasy, does a kill switch constitute as evil?
- Periodic table of branding, Logo Design Love. I’ve bookmarked the link and was saddened to see that you have to rollover each “element” to get its full description…because I wanted to print it so I can hang it up at the office! Yes, I’m a logo/branding dork.
- Masculine Insanity, Jezebel. Feminine Beauty really is a fascinating read, discussing (you guessed it) feminine beauty from biological and anatomical perspectives. I always knew that my facial features are more “handsome” than “pretty” – now I know how and why.
- Will the Neo-Depression Create a Drug Epidemic? Consumerist. Crime levels have already started to rise…will drug use increase as well?
- Today’s LA TImes cover: inspired juxtaposition? Boing Boing. No explanation needed. Just look at the image of the cover.
- The 6 Most Disastrous Uses of Work Email Ever, Cracked. I’ve heard of a couple of these before. Haha. Idiots!
- Candidate Supporters’ Use of Gadgets as Symbols Reveal Power of Brands, Wired Gadgets. Gadgets and brands. The power of brands. And humor. Read. Now.
- Long Overdue GPS Upgrade Could Save Airlines $10 Billion a Year, Gizmodo. Did you know that our current air trafficking system goes back to the WWII era? Dude. Maybe now they can stop charging for soda and water.
- Mail Puzzles by Harriet Russell, Neatorama. As much as I am a technophile, I still love a good, old-fashioned letter. This postal experient is ingenius…and I’m sure at least some postal workers had a good chuckle over them.
- What Idiots Are Running NBC? Perez Hilton. How can you host the most successful televised event of the summer, turn in $1 billion in revenue, and still lose money?
- Why print designers are not web designers, Webdistortion. Great point, and very well-written. I am very happy to say that I do web design and print design on a daily basis…and I fully understand the difference between the two!
no. 10 is uber cool