Last night, as a true geek, I attended the 12:01am show for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
I loved the movie – I think it was the best Harry Potter movie yet, although most of my friends disagree. There was a perfect balance of variations from the book vs keeping true to the overall feel of the story. Many have complained that the Half Blood Prince was slow-moving and lacked the excitement and action of the previous five movies, but I think that the screenwriter, director, and producers did a fantastic adaptation of an exposition-heavy story that is ultimately a set-up for the next and final book of the series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
But I digress.
Apart from the movie itself, here are the reasons my HP6 experience was such a memorable one:
- As is usual with other big movie openings, this movie debuted a new trailer another highly-anticipated film: the second movie in the Twilight series, New Moon. As soon as the opening screen flashed on screen, my auditory senses exploded as the majority of the girls in the theater let out a collective scream. The screams repeated – with the addition of wolf whistles, no less – when Taylor Lautner made his debut appearance as the werewolf character Jacob, shirtless and looking absolutely yummy.
I have never been a Twilight fan, but the trailer actually looks promising!
- Another trailer that positively put my senses in overdrive was 9. A dark, thought-provoking CG-film with hints of sci-fi and massive action sequences? Add producer Tim Burton to the mix and I say you got a hit!
- Right before the actual movie started, some jackass shouted, “Dumbledore dies!” I already knew this from reading the book (and yes, I cried when I read this) so I inappropriately let out a laugh along with the rest of the crowd.
- As the familiar Harry Potter theme started, signaling the commencement of the movie, a group of girls shouted, “Dumbledore’s Army!” Needless to say I was happy to be part of such a devoted crowd.
- Walking out of the theater to the car, we witnessed a car accident in the parking lot. Some r-tard proceeded to drive right into a parked car, and it happened just as we were walking past. True story. It certainly made for an entertaining end to the evening.
Were you one of the crazy devoted fans who attended the midnight showing of HP6? How did you like the movie?
So we didn’t see the midnight showing (although I was very tempted) mostly because I’m just plain exhausted and didn’t think I’d be able to say awake. lol. But we did go see it yesterday after work. I totally agree, I think it was the best HP movie yet. And are you serious, there was a Twilight preview???? They totally jipped us then. There was NO Twilight preview for us. Man, that’s not fair! We did see the preview for 9 and it looks pretty good.
The sucky thing is, our theater here messed up the movie towards the end, right after Snape killed Dumbledore. The movie just stopped. We were all like, Uh, what’s going on. So after 10-15 minutes they finally got it going again, but they started the movie at a later point!!! So we missed several minutes of the movie! So not cool…