I’m at that age where a lot of people in my social circle are getting knocked up or trying to get preggers. Naturally this freaks me out because I still consider myself a kid. I may have a job and a mortgage to pay but I still have the tendency to regress back to my five-year-old self much more than necessary. Although I hate to admit it, I’m secretly terrified that I would make a horrible mother. Many people have told me that I would be a great mother because of my innate desire to always be taking care of others. However, this is human life we’re talking about here. A mother has the potential to seriously f*ck up a child’s well-being. While I may not turn out to be a great mother, there’s one thing I do know for sure: my babies will be geeks, just like their mommy. And I intend to start training them from the time they’re out of the womb. How, you ask? Well my friends, you’re in for a geeky ride…
1. Nintendo Baby Blanket In 2006, Rich and Ruth Ng (those lucky bastards!) received this handmade blanket from their friend Claire Pearson. You can see more pictures here. How sickeningly adorable is this?!? I plan on downloading the pattern and making this for my future spawn as soon as I find out I’m pregnant (years down the road, of course).
2. Star Wars AT-AT Stroller Last year, an über-cool dad modded his kid’s stroller to resemble an AT-AT (see more pictures and read the interview at the Star Wars Blog). Almost immediately I was filled with disdain for my parents for not being nearly as geeky as this dad.
3. Nerdy ABC Flash Cards A is for Atom. B is for Binary Code. C is for Cellular Membrane…’enuff said. If I had these when I was learning English, I would’ve caught on a lot faster. You can purchase these cards at Etsy.
4. C-Jump: The Computer Programming Board Game According to C-Jump’s website, this boardgame “helps children learn basics of programming languages, such as C, C++ and Java.” Screw Candyland! My kids are playing C-Jump instead!
5. Geeky Apparel Lola of North Beach is a great online store that sells great babygeekwear. The items they carry include:
Goo Goo Ga Ga onesie. Perfect for any future Googler.
iPood onesie. This one makes me giggle. 🙂
“My Dad’s a Geek” onesie. How come they don’t have a “My Mom’s a Geek” one? Hmmmph…
6. Knicks Apparel You don’t think I would let my kids grow up not loving the Knicks, do you? 😉 My Houston jersey has been worn and washed so many times that all the lettering is peeling and practically unrecognizable…but all the abuse has left it soft and super-comfy. I plan on swaddling my kids in this jersey. And I definitely want to purchase additional baby wear:
(I wouldn’t get the Marbury one, of course…but this was the only one they had at the NBA Online Store.)
7. Hopkins Apparel Although I’m not THAT into lacrosse, I have to throw this one in. Go Blue Jays!
The onesies are so cute. Love the Star Wars stroller.